<span class="highlight">stone</span> deflectors

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:39
ThreadID: 72474 Views:3897 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everyone,

I recall some months ago reading a thread here on a stone deflector for the rear of vehicles that looked like a large furry moustache. We have an off road campervan that is made from fiberglass and I suspect it will not do well from stones being thrown from the vehicle on remote tracks. The vans configuration would make it difficult to install a deflector on it so the best option will be the car. For the life of me I can't find the thread I was reading even using the Boolean search strings - probably operator error. Can anyone help with a search for this thread?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:49

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:49
have a look here for ideas
AnswerID: 384279

Reply By: mazcan barry - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:04

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:04
hi
do you mean that material like the new primemovers have around the wheel arches, try a truckline website i dont think it will be cheap though ???
just as a note of interest !

i actually made a stone guard on my camper trailer using house floor vinyl
i stuck it across the fibre glass body with roof &gutter silastic and made circular skirts that slide over the gas bottles as well on the a/frame
you put the pattern side against the body the underside is offwhite and looks good it has worked well it's as tough as choose a vinyl with a bit of thickness in it down the track if need be the vinyl can easily be removed/ and/ or for replacement with a razor knife
after over 5000 km/s there are no signs of it deteriating hope this is of some help to you or somebody out there
cheers mazcan barry
AnswerID: 384281

Follow Up By: mazcan barry - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:40

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:40
hi
in addition to above use i also put vinyl under the camper trailer to protect the poly water tank screwed it to the camper floor with a 25mmx3mm flat bar of aluminuim giving the vinyl a bit of backward angle and it deflects all the stones really well
mazcan barry
FollowupID: 652043

Reply By: Ross H (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:14

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:14
Hi Paul F

The furry moustache you are refering to is to try and prevent water spray not stones, I have a rock tamer mudflap which goes around your tow hitch, got it from TJM but some people on here have made ones similar for a lot less.

Regards Rossco
AnswerID: 384282

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:23

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:23
You are right to be concerned - I think it's fair to say that many of the camper/van makers pay superficial attention at best to stones - the rest of them do bugger all :-o).... my preference where posible is to let the stones keep going (deflect), as opposed to stopping them - I use a trampoline of sorts between the car and the van (stones can't get 'up' into the damage zones), plus some protection for under parts of the van.
AnswerID: 384284

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:31

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:31
G'day Paul,
I have recently made up a full width stone deflector to go on the patrol.
I used the truck "Spray Fringe" with rubber above. The spray fringe will let the air flow through not like solid rubber. I would think a solid rubber deflector would add to your fuel economy more so than the fringe type.
I purchased the spray fringe from a truck spares place, cost $109.Image Could Not Be Found

Regards,
Barry
AnswerID: 384295

Reply By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 07:01

Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 07:01
Thanks to everybody for their reply's

You all have some great ideas and suggestions. What you all agree on is that some form of stone protection is a must and I'm sure your advice will give us the foundation for a solution.

Thanks again

Paul
AnswerID: 384419

Sponsored Links